Forum Thread: Homemade Buttermilk (Substitute)

In this food hack I will show you how to make Buttermilk. This easy homemade buttermilk substitute recipe is perfect to use with pancakes, cupcakes, breads, etc. If you can't find buttermilk, or it is not available in your country, or you just don't want to go to the store to get some you can use this substitute. Why use buttermilk in baking? The slightly acidic batter helps the baked goods be more moist and tender by breaking down the gluten. Super simple to make if I can do it, you can do it. Let's get started!

Don't forget to follow me and check out my other posts. :)

If you have any questions or comments leave them down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Follow the simple steps below or watch the very short video tutorial or do both. :)

Step 1: Ingredients/Tools

Ingredients:
1 cup milk (whole milk, 2%, 1%, etc.) (250ml)
1 to 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice or white vinegar (15 to 30ml)

Tools:
Knife
Bowl
Spoon
Measuring spoons
Citrus press (optional)

Step 2: Cut and Squeeze

First let's cut our lemon in half and then squeeze out 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice into our milk. I am using a handy dandy manual citrus press but you can always just squeeze it with your hand if you like.

Step 3: Stir and Sit

Next just stir the milk and lemon juice with a spoon for a few seconds. Then let it sit for about 30 minutes until it thickens up. Then it will be ready to use. :) There you go a super simple buttermilk substitute to use in any recipe that calls for it. :) Enjoy! :)

1 Response

Well explained, a useful hack for cake lovers. Though easy to made and I think it will work for people like me as well — a worth reading post.

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active