How To: These 6 Flavors Turn Crunchy Chickpeas into Snacking Gold

These 6 Flavors Turn Crunchy Chickpeas into Snacking Gold

Whether you call them chickpeas, garbanzo beans, or Egyptian peas, these little morsels are one of my favorite snacks—when properly seasoned, that is. Being mild in flavor on their own, they're incredibly versatile and fun to experiment with. (They're also incredibly healthy.)

Simply season the chickpeas, arrange them on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15 minutes, or until you notice a slight browning.

One 16-ounce can of chickpeas will give you plenty of mileage for trying out new flavors. Just make sure to give each flavor its own real estate when baking so the flavors don't get muddy. As you can see below, each flavor has a buffer to insulate it from neighboring spices.

Clockwise from top left: chickpeas seasoned with sriracha-hoisin, garlic-Parmesan, miso, brown sugar and cinnamon, Moroccan spice, and BBQ.

Sriracha-Hoisin Chickpeas

First up, sriracha-hoisin chickpeas, which deliver a spicy kick with a slightly sweet aftertaste. The plum flavor from the hoisin adds a nice layer of complexity to this red-hot cock sauce. (Ahem, I was referring to the rooster logo, what did you think I was talking about?)

These bad boys are highly entertaining for eating contest purposes. However, if you are less interested in seeing grown men cry, there are a multitude of culinary applications as well.

Does your chili need a little pick-me-up?
These are your solution.

Want to add a new flavor to your tacos?
Look no further.

Need a wild card for your next salad?
Well, you get the picture.

These sriracha-hoisin chickpeas are sure to inject vibrancy into otherwise stale recipes. To season, mix 1 tablespoon of sriracha with 1 teaspoon of hoisin sauce. Stir the mixture in with ¼ cup of chickpeas, and then add to the cookie sheet.

Garlic-Parmesan Chickpeas

These are a wonderful complement to a Caesar salad, and also go great in wraps. A versatile addition for American, Italian, and French food, these can be served as an interesting side, or even as an appetizer.

To season, coat ¼ cup of chickpeas in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread onto the cookie sheet, sprinkling 1 clove of chopped garlic and 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese.

Miso-Soy Chickpeas

Miso paste is one of my favorite accouterments—savory, salty, with a decadent kick of umami. Give your chickpeas a generous rubdown with miso paste before sending them into the roaster. Add sesame seeds for a little extra texture and flavoring. Great for Asian-style salads, or simply for snacking in general.

To season, mix together 1 tablespoon of miso paste with 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Coat ¼ cup of chickpeas in the mixture, and then spread onto the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.

Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Chickpeas

Ever have one of those weeks when you're on cheat day number 6 and thinking "GAH, where is my self control, or did I eat that too?"

Well, these delicious brown sugar and cinnamon chickpeas are a nutritious way of reigning in those cravings. Add a pinch of salt, and this snack satisfies those cravings for something sweet, salty, and just a bit savory. And being high in fiber and protein, this snack has what it takes to leave you satiated

To season, coat ¼ cup of chickpeas in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix together 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Roll chickpeas in the mixture, and then spread onto the cookie sheet.

Moroccan Spiced Chickpeas

Chickpeas are a staple of Moroccan cuisine, often appearing in salads and stews. Typical Moroccan spices include cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, and a host of other aromatic ingredients. Brushing chickpeas with a thin coat of olive oil, followed by a healthy layer of Moroccan spice mix, creates a rich and flavorful result after they've been baked. One bite, and you'll have a taste of Morocco lingering on your taste buds!

To season, coat ¼ cup of chickpeas in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Combine 1 teaspoon each of paprika and cumin, and a ½ teaspoon each of cinnamon, turmeric, and coriander. Roll the chickpeas in the spice mixture and then spread on the cookie sheet. If desired, sprinkling 1 clove of chopped garlic.

BBQ Marinated Chickpeas

Just about every barbecue has the usual side-dish suspects. Corn on the cob, potato salad, chips and dip, sliced watermelon. But BBQ chickpeas?

Get out.

Seriously though, it's nice to have something out of the ordinary to snack on, perhaps even to add on top of your burger if you're feeling adventurous. These are a great side to bring if you're looking for some extra love with your next potluck.

To season, coat ¼ cup of chickpeas in 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce. Spread onto the cookie sheet.

Try out these chickpea flavors, or even experiment with some of your own!

More Hackin' Means More Snackin'

Just updated your iPhone? You'll find new emoji, enhanced security, podcast transcripts, Apple Cash virtual numbers, and other useful features. There are even new additions hidden within Safari. Find out what's new and changed on your iPhone with the iOS 17.4 update.

Photos by Taylor Friedlander/Food Hacks

1 Comment

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Latest