Avocado is great in guacamole or as slices on a sandwich, but there's so much more you can do with this wonderful fruit (call it a vegetable, that's fine—but it's technically a fruit). While I could eat guac every single day, these are some of my favorite recipes to spice up avocados a bit, from making a guilty snack to a condiment and even dessert!
So, so easy. The crunch on the outside combined with the soft bite on the inside makes this a perfect dipper for your next party or at home snack. I use ketchup on mine—but you can use anything from BBQ sauce to ranch dressing to a balsamic glaze drizzled over the top.
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 firm ripe avocados
- cooking spray
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat your broiler, placing a baking sheet in the oven while the broiler preheats.
- Combine the flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Place breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and whisk until foamy.
- Halve the avocados, remove the pits, cut each half into 6 wedges, then pull off the peels.
- Dredge the avocado wedges in flour dip.
- Shake off excess, then dredge in egg white.
- Finally, dredge the slices in breadcrumbs.
- Remove the baking sheet from your oven, then coat with cooking spray.
- Place avocado slices on the baking sheet, then coat avocados with cooking spray.
- Broil 5 minutes or until brown on top.
- Turn and broil 2 more minutes.
- Remove and serve with lemon wedges.
Another simple but zesty addition to your next baked potato, veggie dish, or even a burger.
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, greens reserved
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
Combine scallion whites, avocado, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and salt in the small bowl of a food processor and process on high until smooth (about 30 seconds).
With four easy ingredients, you can forget chocolate pudding or frozen yogurt for one night. Dive into this dessert and I promise that this creamy and smooth alternative will engage your sweet tooth.
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Mash avocado with an electric mixer, or use a food processor.
- Blend in the milk, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Chill for about 20 minutes before serving.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades