It's nearly impossible to keep a stovetop clean when cooking, at least, in my experience. No matter what I do, liquid and solid food bits fall to the surface and around the burners every single time, creating a hard-to-clean mess.
Scrubbing away the stains and crusty charred remains is a hassle, but I've found a preventative solution that makes it just a couple wipes versus tons of scrubbing—car wax. Yes, you read that right. The same product that keeps your vehicle nice and shiny can help keep your range looking clean.
Car wax was designed to give an automobile a glossy look, but more importantly, to keep scratches from happening and make cleaning a breeze. Even though most cars since the early '80s have a clear coat over the paint job that does the same thing, that clear coat can still be damaged and worn, and wax can help keep it in tip-top shape. It reduces the appearance of grimy handprints and clinging dust, and adds a slippery layer of protection.
When it comes to your stovetop, car wax has the same preventive properties, meaning future pills, splatters, and food bits will slide off your cooktop like never before.
Car wax is not a cleaning product, so before you head straight to waxing your stovetop, use a sponge and your usual cleaning product to get your the surface of your range spotless. Then, apply a car wax of your choosing, following the label's instructions. Just make sure that you're buffing it onto a cool stovetop—applying it to a hot surface can create unpleasant smells.
This polishing method is safe for all stove types (stainless steel, metal, and glass-ceramic), both electric and gas, and will even keep fingerprints and smudges down to a minimum. The wax treatment should last anywhere from one to two weeks, so when you notice your stove is losing its waxy sheen, just wipe off the surface and apply more wax.
Okay, so now that your stovetop's surface is easier to clean, what about those burners and grates? The easiest way to clean them is to use ammonia, and you can read more about how that works in my other guide.
- Remove Old Food & Drink Stains with This Easy, Cheap Solution
- Get Your Dishes (& Dishwasher) Extra Clean with a Lemon Peel
- How to Clean "Uncleanable" Scorched Spots from Pots & Pans
- The Secret to Cleaning Scuff Marks Off Dishes & Silverware Faster
- How to Naturally Deodorize a Stinky Garbage Disposal
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades