Most of the time we only use the microwave to reheat or defrost, but you can actually save a lot of time by using it for cooking. These genius recipes make the most of this underused appliance, and also turn out some pretty tasty dishes.
Urban myths and internet legends abound about the dangers of microwave cooking. But almost all studies show that if you're using your microwave correctly, it's neither dangerous nor unhealthy. If you're worried about radiation leakage, then consider that microwaves emit about the same level of radiation that you get from your cell phone, which you hold up to your head throughout the day.
You can't eat this in three minutes unless you like hot cheesecake, but it only takes a few minutes to make this before you cool it in the fridge. It's a perfect single-serving dessert that you can top with fresh fruit, compote, or whipped cream.
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp vanilla-flavored Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 graham cracker square, crushed
- Combine cream cheese, yogurt, lemon juice, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a small microwave-safe glass dish or ramekin.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds and then stir.
- Microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave carefully.
- Let cool in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Top with crushed graham crackers.
It's sad when your poached eggs don't turn out when you make them on a stovetop, so it's surprising how easy they are to make in the microwave. Follow this tutorial to learn how to do it.
These are so good that you shouldn't make them on a regular basis. They're a lovely, buttery treat, and make excellent holiday candies or DIY gifts. Find our recipe here.
Regular risotto requires a lot more stirring than this tasty microwave version. You can also play around and add other seasonings and vegetables to the mix.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large microwave-safe casserole dish, combine 2 tablespoons butter with the garlic and onion.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place vegetable broth in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir broth and rice into dish with the onion, butter, and garlic mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 minutes. Add wine and stir.
- Cook on high for another 8-10 minutes.
- Most of the liquid should be gone, but adjust cooking times to your microwave.
- Stir remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and cheese into risotto and stir.
Ditch the regular deep-fried version and make a batch of these healthier potato chips in your microwave. Get the ingenious recipe here.
If you love potatoes and want to learn more quick and easy ways to make them in the microwave, get more tips here.
Traditional meringues can be fantastically shaped, but these are so much easier to whip up on the fly. Get the full microwave tutorial here.
Mug cakes are genius because they make very little mess and are ready in a flash. You just mix everything up in a coffee cup, nuke it for a couple minutes, and you have a single serving of cake. Get the Food Network recipe here.
If brownies are more your thing, then follow our graphic recipe here.
If you want to do more with your microwave, then you'll love these tricks to get better tasting food from your microwave and our user-friendly guide to microwave cooking. And for more microwave cooking inspiration, check out these illustrated meals.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades