These cake eggs are a gorgeous treat that also makes a delicious April Fool's Day prank. Getting a fairly humdrum breakfast of boiled eggs and fruit and discovering that it's cake instead is an eggcellent surprise, isn't it? If you want to make these for Easter instead, then they're an Instagram-worthy dessert to grace your brunch spread. This might be the only dessert that is appropriate for both April Fool's Day and Easter.
The great thing about this idea is that you can customize the cake to be any flavor or color that you like. Think brownies, confetti cake, or carrot cake for Easter. You can use white eggs, brown eggs, and even dyed Easter eggs in a pastel rainbow.
- cake batter (homemade or boxed)
Since the eggshells are smaller than cupcakes, you should use the moistest cake recipe you can find so they don't dry out while cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Make holes in the top of each egg using a corkscrew. The hole will have to be large enough to pipe in the cake batter. Save the eggs to use in something later.
- Rinse out each eggshell.
- In a bowl of salted water, soak the eggshells for at least 30 minutes. Add more salt if they don't sink enough and make sure the eggshells are filled with the saltwater.
- Remove eggshells, rinse quickly in running water, shake out any water from inside, and then place on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Prepare a muffin tin. Make a small aluminum foil nest in each hole, with an indentation in the middle so the eggs will be able to sit up.
- Fill a piping bag with tip or sandwich bag with cake batter. If using a sandwich bag, cut one tip.
- Place eggs in a Dixie cup or egg cup. Fill carefully with cake batter to two-thirds full.
- Place filled eggs into muffin tin.
- Bake cake eggs for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and clean off any excess cake from the top of the eggs. Do this gently with a butter knife and damp paper towel or dish towel.
- Serve as a fun April Fool's Day surprise or a spring-y Easter treat.
Get more fun tips and tricks to make the most of your favorite cake. Learn how to mathematically slice cake for long-lived freshness, use dental floss to cut cake (and other soft foods), make a no-bake ice cream sandwich cake, and eat cupcakes so the frosting doesn't get all over your face.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades