Icebox cakes are some of the most satisfying, easy desserts to put together. This version made out of ice cream sandwiches takes the cake, literally, because the layers are almost pre-made for you. Simple and pretty when cut and served, it will be love at your first creamy bite.
Depending on whether you want a layer of chocolate crunchies in your ice cream sandwich cake or not, this could be either a two-ingredient ice cream cake or a four-ingredient one. If you don't need the crunchy layer, then you can put this together in about 10 minutes; with the crunchies, it will probably take about 15.
I grew up on the East Coast, and having a Carvel ice cream cake was the best ending to most birthday parties growing up, whether it was my party or someone else's. All ice cream cakes are pretty wonderful in concept (ice cream plus cake!), but there is a special layer of chocolate crunchies in every Carvel ice cream cake that makes them extra special.
- Oreo cookies (5-10, depending on the size of your cake)
- Magic Shell Chocolate Fudge (Smucker's or generic)
Magic Shell is the thing that you might remember from childhood, or you might be retro and use it all the time on your ice cream sundaes. It hardens almost immediately when you drip it onto your ice cream, and it's the secret weapon to making crispy chocolate crunchies at home.
If you've ever cooked with coconut oil or used it as a lotion, then you know it becomes solid at room temperature. It also gets crispy at colder temperatures, which is why Magic Shell (which has coconut oil in it) gets hard on ice cream and how your cookie layer will stay crunchy.
You can scrape out the cream filling to the Oreos or you can leave them in. I left them in and just mashed them to bits in a ziplock bag with a large pestle.
After that, drizzle your crushed cookies with a pretty generous amount of Magic Shell (3 or 4 generous squeezes) and set it aside to use as a layer in your ice cream sandwich cake.
- Ice cream sandwiches (12-20, depending on the size you want)
- Cool Whip (or generic)
- DIY chocolate crunchies (optional, see above)
- On a layer of wax paper spread over a rectangular pan, place the ice cream sandwiches down in a tight-fitting row.
- On top, spread a layer of Cool Whip.
- If using, spread a layer of DIY chocolate crunchies (thick or thin, your choice).
- Top with another layer of ice cream sandwiches, pressing down firmly on each to pack them together.
- Top with another layer of Cool Whip.
- Freeze for 4 hours.
For more ice cream hacks, see how to make a loaf of bread out of ice cream, ice cream sandwiches for the super-lazy, and no-churn homemade ice cream. Also, make sure to check out the easiest way to scoop frozen ice cream, as well as these 8 amazing ice cream hacks.
Start your career in Graphic Design with the WonderHowTo's Beginners’s Guide to Photoshop Course