Summertime calls out for desserts that are easy to assemble and don't require heat. Voilà: crème de menthe grasshopper pies. They are minty, fresh, and cold, and are very easy to whip together with marshmallows and a microwave.
Another plus? You can make these mini crème de menthe pies with just five ingredients. The crème de menthe liquor, a sweet and minty alcohol made from peppermint, gives the pies a slight boozy taste and their signature green color.
This pie is very similar to grasshopper cocktails. Traditional grasshopper pies usually use a chocolate wafer crust, and you can do that instead of the graham cracker crust if you want a mint-chocolate combination.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine marshmallows and half and half (or milk) together.
- Microwave on 80% power for 3–4 minutes, or until it's melted and easy to stir.
- Add crème de menthe and stir to combine.
- Chill in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- After the marshmallow mixture is cool, remove from the refrigerator and gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour into full-size pie crust or mini pie crusts.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings or mint leaf before serving.
This is a nice and creamy pie that you can serve straight from the refrigerator, but you can also freeze it for about 15 minutes before you are ready to serve so it's a little bit more firm.
There are a lot of after-dinner treats you can make without turning on your oven. From a 5-minute mug cake that you pop in your microwave to a no-bake ice cream cake that you assemble from ice cream sandwiches, or 3 minute microwave oven meringues, there's a lot of ways to be creative with no-bake desserts.