Turning your oven on in the summer is just asking to convert your house into a sauna. No matter how badly you want to bake cookies during a heat wave, having to deal with the boost in temperature is a deterrent at best.
However, this doesn't necessarily mean you have to go cookie-less in the summertime. If you're in need of a sweet treat, but want to avoid the oven at all costs, energy bites are a quick no-bake treat for you.
Energy bites are like cookies but more filling and satisfying. These protein-rich treats are made with a base of only three ingredients: oats, nut butter, and a liquid sweetener. After you have your base ingredients, just stir in any combination of flavorful add-ins. The add-ins can be anything from nuts and seeds to dried fruit and coconut—it's highly customizable!
Here are some basics ingredients you can start off with:
- nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pistachios)
- seeds (chia seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin kernels)
- dried fruit (cranberries, golden raisins, cherries, blueberries, mangos, apricots)
- chocolate (dark chocolate, white chocolate, yogurt chips, cocoa nibs, M&M's, cocoa powder)
- other (coconut flakes, rice cereal, vanilla extract)
Just pick a few and get that sound good together and get to work! The combinations are endless. If you need help deciding on a flavor combination, versus just experimenting, check out Eat This's article for creative flavor combos that work particularly well together.
In this article, I'll be making the following two energy bite flavors as examples:
- Cranberry Almond: peanut butter, honey, chopped almonds, dried cranberries, chia seeds, shredded coconut
- Almond Joy: peanut butter, honey, chopped almonds, cocoa powder, shredded coconut, dark chocolate chips
You can use this simple recipe to make a base for any type of no-bake energy bite. If you're making more, double it; for a small batch, cut it in half. The ratio of the amounts of ingredients should remain the same, however.
In a large bowl, combine the base ingredients with the add-ins.
Stir until all of the ingredients are fully combined. The mixture should stick together easily enough to press into a ball. If the "dough" is too crumbly, add more sticky ingredients such as peanut butter or honey. If it is too wet, add more oats.
Use a small cookie scoop to scoop the bites onto a sheet pan.
If you don't have a scoop, no problem! Feel free to roll the bites into rounds with your hands. Each bite should be contain about 2 Tbsp. and be 2 inches in diameter.
If you'd like, you can coat your bites in toppings such as coconut shreds, crushed nuts, sprinkles, or cocoa powder. To do so, place your chosen topping in a shallow bowl and roll the bites in the topping.
Place the sheet pan of bites in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes or until they firm up. Then, enjoy a bite or two (or three) of some tasty energy!
These bites keep best covered, in the refrigerator. I like to make two times the normal recipe at once. Then, I'll freeze half and refrigerate the other half. That way, all I have to do is defrost a batch when I run out!
These energy bites are the perfect on-the-go snack. They're handy like granola bars but smaller and more portable. Energy bites are the perfect snack to keep you going at work or to keep hunger at bay when your kids are in school. They also make phenomenal hiking snacks. You can enjoy them anywhere you go!
No matter how hot it gets this summer, you don't have to break a sweat to make these energy bites. So grab your favorite ingredients and get mixing. A bite of energy is right around the corner.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades