It's easy to grab a box of pre-prepared microwave popcorn at the grocery store. Yet with so much salt, butter, and other unpronounceable ingredients, microwave popcorn can go from a healthy snack to a complicated one.
Even if you resolve to pop your own popcorn with the mindset of being healthier or more budget-conscious, individual kernels are a pain to cook: they usually require a special air popping machine or a more traditional stovetop method.
However, Cassandra Lewis of Little Things has an ingenious solution for those who have neither the gadgets nor the time: by using a bowl and a plate, she cooks her popcorn and melts the butter to pour on top at the same time.
- Grab a microwave-safe bowl and pour in as many kernels as you'd like. (2½ Tbsp. of kernels creates 1 quart: a nice individual amount.)
- Cut the amount of butter you'd like to use.
- Place the butter on a microwave-safe plate, then set the plate on top of your kernel-filled bowl.
- Place your bowl and plate in the microwave and set it for 2-3 minutes. The air in the bowl will heat up, flowing around the kernels and cooking them until they pop. Simultaneously, the butter resting on the plate above will heat and melt into a liquid.
- Once the kernels are perfectly popped and your butter melted, remove the plate then the bowl from the microwave. Be advised: both will be very hot, so you may want to use oven mitts.
- Tilt the plate over the bowl, then pour the butter over the popcorn for flavoring.
That's it—a quick pop in the microwave with plain kernels and a few tablespoons of butter, and you have the fluffy popcorn you've been craving. With this easy method, you'll never need to buy individual popcorn bags again!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades