If you're a frequent baker like myself, you've probably realized that one box of cake mix makes quite a bit of cake. If your goal is to make a simple Bundt or an easy dozen cupcakes, all you really need is half the box mix—which leaves the other half for another baking occasion.
- Don't Miss: 8 Tricks That Make Boxed Cake Mix Taste Homemade
On one such occasion, I decided to bake a bunch of cupcakes. Sometimes less is more, but this was a "more is more" kind of day... so I blended together all the wet ingredients for a full box's worth of cake. Then I realized that all I had in my pantry was half a box! (Cue dramatic music.)
In utter defiance of the situation, I added the dry mix anyway. As I stirred the mixture, I noticed that it was far too liquid-y to create a successful cake... but was the perfect consistency for pancakes. And that, my friends, is how I discovered that sweet, delicious pancakes can be made with cake mix—handy knowledge indeed, especially when your pancake mix is nowhere to be found.
- ½ box cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Be sure to let all the ingredients reach room temperature for best results. If you begin making your pancakes while the ingredients are still cold, the batter could wind up being too thick to cook evenly. Also, if you prefer thinner pancakes versus thicker ones, you can always add milk to thin out the mixture.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat.
- Pour approximately ¼ cup worth of batter onto the skillet (or less if you want more petite pancakes). Ideally, you want the pancakes to be about ¼ of an inch thick so that they cook all the way through without getting burned on the outside.
- When slightly browned on both sides, it's time to serve.
There are more cake mix flavors in the baking aisle of a grocery store than there are colors in the rainbow. Having tried out a few varieties, these have been the most crowd-pleasing when in their pancake form.
Spice Cake Pancakes
If it's cold outside, and you want the perfect accompaniment to your morning coffee, try the spice cake flavor with some vanilla frosting. (A trick for frosting—if you buy a pre-made can, microwave it for 30 seconds to give it a syrup-like consistency.)
The delicate flavor of lemon cake translates well into pancake form, making it an excellent option for a garden-set brunch. These beg to be served on a warm, sunny day. I suggest stirring poppy seeds into the mixture for an extra layer of flavor and texture complexity.
If you don't like sprinkles, I don't want anything to do with you, and neither do these pancakes. But you're in the mood for something fun and playful, break out the whipped cream to top off these bad boys!
Red Velvet Pancakes
There is something so decadent about the clean lines of cream cheese frosting across the rich crimson of a red velvet pancake. For an indulgent (and dare I say... seductive) breakfast, look no further.
Much in the same way a platypus appears to be a bird (although scientifically classified as a mammal), so too is the case with these cake-based pancakes... although they are technically breakfast, they can easily become dessert. I see them as treasured members of both the breakfast kingdom as well as the dessert realm. When it comes to this dish, don't get caught up in labels. Just enjoy the sugar-laced ride!
We at Food Hacks are quite the pancake fans. We love to brighten our breakfasts with rainbow-colored pancakes, dream up creative pancake designs, and—of course—come up with hacks to make a less sticky, more enjoyable pancake. It's a delicious obsession!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades