Potatoes are one of cheapest, most nutritious whole foods that you can make and eat. Is it any wonder you can find budget-friendly, low-fat potatoes in every cuisine in the world?
I love simple baked potatoes, but it's always good to change it up. Here are some of my favorite ingenious ways to dress up and enjoy the humble potato.
If you've never had Hasselback potatoes before, then you have been missing out. They combine the crispiness and flavor of sautéed or fried potatoes with the creamy softness of baked potatoes. Thank the Swedes for this amazing idea.
- 4 large Russet potatoes (or Yukon or other starchy potato type)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Pepper and/or herbs to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F degrees.
- Scrub and dry your potatoes, leaving the skin on.
- Melt the butter and mix with the olive oil.
- Place the potato in a large spoon and cut it several times. You want to make thin slices that never go through the entire potato.
- Put in a baking dish and drizzle each potato with ½ tbsp of the butter and oil mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the potatoes start to open a bit.
- Drizzle each potato with the remaining butter and oil mixture.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add pepper and herbs to taste.
Follow the directions above with half the amount of butter. Cut the potatoes into cubes instead, taking care not to slice through the bottoms.
The holy trinity of breakfast foods—eggs, bacon, and potatoes—come together in this neat idea from Gimmesomeoven. Cute and tasty.
One of my favorite things about visiting Montreal is the poutine, which is the fancy French way of saying fries topped with gravy and cheese curds. Top your baked potatoes with mozzarella and gravy for an easy, satisfying version of poutine.
There are many other ways to elevate your relationship with potatoes, including how to peel a bag of potatoes in a minute, weirdly practical uses for potatoes, why instant mashed potatoes are a pantry essential, and how to make fluffier mashed potatoes without butter or milk. What are your favorite potato hacks?
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.