There are few things more satisfying than fulfilling a craving with instant gratification. Companies like Pillsbury and have made this possible with the introduction of their famous Ready to Bake Cookies line: just rip open the package, break off the cookies along the creased lines, place on a cookie sheet, and bake.
However, if you're looking for something more spicy or savory, you're usually out of luck. Thankfully, it's not difficult to create your own "Ready-to-Bake" style shortbreads at home. Knowing how to roll a cling-filmed log allows you to keep any dough at hand.
The video below demonstrates the steps behind not only rolling the log shape, but creating an airtight container for the log to be stored in for future use.
Making dough logs really is as easy as it looks! And here are the ingredients I used to create my savory Parmesan Cayenne Shortbread biscuits:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients except egg yolks in a standing mixer (or in a bowl if you don't own a stand mixer).
- Mix the ingredients on medium low until the consistency is like sand using either a stand mixer or a hand mixer.
- Add egg yolks and mix until the yolks are completely incorporated.
- Empty the dough onto plastic wrap and start shaping the dough into a log with your hands. For best results, follow the video linked above.
- If you will use the dough in the next 2-3 days, store it in the refrigerator. Otherwise, it will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- If you've refrigerated your dough, let it defrost at room temperature for 10 minutes before using. If you've frozen your dough, let it defrost in the refrigerator for several hours (and then for 10 minutes at room temperature).
- Then, using a sharp knife, slice evenly into pucks.
- On a parchment- or Silpat-lined baking sheet, spread the pucks out and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. (If you are using this method for another recipe, follow the instructions listed on said recipe.)
- When the shortbread is ready, remove from the oven and let them cool for a minute before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
While this method can certainly work with cookie doughs and—as I demonstrated above—savory shortbreads, you can also use it to roll homemade sushi, shape delicious rolled tenderloins, and set compound butter.
Let us know what new flavors and recipes you choose to use with this simple trick in the comments!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades